Thursday, May 10, 2007

Change and Growth - Amendment

Immediately after I posted that bit about "Change is inevitable. Growth is optional," right before the Futures Conference, I realized it needed an amendment. It needed me to add that I am such a hypocrite!

I am a huge advocate of using "2.0" things for libraries - blogs, wikis, podcasts, etc... and not being AFRAID of CHANGE and of doing some different things. And here I am, NOT blogging really! I posted that post and then went off to take a shower and it was there that I realized that I have to admit and face up to MY fears and issues if I am going to be talking to others about CHANGE - FEAR - GROWTH and their issues.

My fear is of not being perfect; not being good enough - liked - accepted; etc.... That is why I have been avoiding blogging. This is a true soul-baring admission. I want to blog. I often think of things to blog. Yet, I allow my fears to hold me back.

Well, no more! I am realizing my fears, admitting them, and challenging them. Just as I want to be able to challenge everyone else to do! So, as I go forth and blog and challenge you (hopefully) you can know that I do so with a clear conscious having admitted this and having started to face my own fears!

At the conference Robert said to me that people appreciate honesty and that's what is most important. Well, consider yourselves warned . . .

[Thanks to Robert and Pete for discussions surrounding this topic at the conference! It helped a lot!]

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At May 10, 2007 7:59 PM, Blogger Nancy Dowd said...

I'm glad you are writing! I can relate totally - it can be very scary to write out your ideas on a blog, especially when it's something new. I remember writing one posting where I praised several other bloggers and after I posted it, I thought, wow they are going to think I am a total jerk. But then they all left comments and not one person said anything bad about me.:-) I think Robert and Pete are on target- all we can be is who we are. The fact that you are willing to take the time to share that in a blog is a gift to us. Thanks! Keep writing!

 
At May 10, 2007 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy - I love this post. Change and growth begin with ourselves. :)

PS: Don't worry about being perfect. The best thing about blogging is getting to know the human side of people.

 
At May 11, 2007 8:32 AM, Blogger Janie L. Hermann said...

Great post Amy. It is okay to let the human side show when you post -- it what helps with the connections side of the community and collaboration.

When I first posted last summer about Alex's adoption journey and the importance of online community that was a scary post for me to put out as it was so personal. But for me, the lesson I learned was more important to share than my fear.

I am so glad you are a part of our blogging team here at the LG!

 
At May 11, 2007 8:46 AM, Blogger Peter Bromberg said...

Hi Amy,

First, it was great having a chance to spend some time with you at the Futures conference!

I enjoyed all of our conversations, but our discussion about how fear keeps us from moving forward really struck a chord. I started reflecting and thinking a bit more deeply about the things in my life (professionally speaking, mostly) that I've held back from doing because I want to make sure it's done perfectly the first time out. Behind that, is a fear of looking bad or incompetent or unprofessional. Behind that is the fear that people will be disappointed in me.

I've kept all of this just below the surface of my consciousness. I suppose it's a common human experience to let our fears hold us back--what's so dern insidious is that the fears themselves are in the shadows, and therefore hard to confront.

Your post shows great courage, and I am inspired by it, as I was inspired by you at the conference. Thanks for taking a risk, and sharing what's real! I think in the end that's the only thing we really have to give each other anyway.

 
At May 11, 2007 9:09 AM, Blogger Amy J. Kearns, MLIS said...

Thanks so much everyone - I'm almost moved to tears! :-)Truly.

 
At May 11, 2007 9:45 AM, Blogger Linda said...

I am in process of becomming a librarian in hopes of getting my MLS in two years-but I have worked in libraries for 14+years. I was so happy to read this post because now I don't have to feel guilty and ashamed that I have fears of change into the library 2.0 world. While on the one hand I welcome change and feel it is a great time to be a librarian, I fear the same things you do, not being liked, accepted as a professonal, the whole ball of wax. Your post is encouraging and motivational. Thaks for writing your blog, I enjoy reading it! It is so great to be in this profession where I meet and read writings of so many top notch librarians. Gives me something more to strive for!

 
At May 11, 2007 7:37 PM, Blogger Michael Stephens said...

HEY! Go for it! I've been coding my blogger data for dfays and the one of the most important things librarian bloggers say is it lets them have a voice, reflect and PARTICIPATE!

Woohoo!

And you8 know I'm an advocate for letting go of the culture of perfect in libraries... :-)

 
At May 13, 2007 1:21 AM, Blogger Fichter said...

I admire your courage to be able to write about your fears and why you avoid blogging.

I've always thought perfect was over rated for so many reasons. It often holds us back from fun, new, enlightening experiences not mention a chance to learn (growth).

Dive in Amy with both feet - most days the water is just fine for swimming in the blogosphere :-).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home