Monday, May 14, 2007

Pandora helps you find your favorite new bands

Although I do have a fairly respectable (read as: large) collection of music I am always on the watch for something new. The problem is that I tend to waste a lot of money on bands that "sound like" my favorites, only to find out $18 and an hour later, they really aren't something I wanted to spend my money on.

Thanks to Pandora, that is changing.

Pandora is the fruition of the Music Genome Project. Each song entered into the site is subject to classification through genre, decade, musical composition, harmonies, keys, progression and much more. The result is when you put in a favorite song or artist in the search box, Pandora creates a station compiled with artists who closely resemble many of your favorite band's qualities.

Furthermore, the station is always working towards making the ideal listening station for the listener. Each song can be given a thumbs up or down. Thumbs up will be used to first compare the qualities of your favorite band and your new song and then target even closer to bands of similar sounds. If you give a song a thumbs down, the station will skip past the song and never play it on that station again.

The result is quite impressive. I have five stations that are based off of my favorite rock with punk influence and, because of the thumbs up and down options, each one sounds different from the other. Now, I have several new bands to follow:

Pansy Division- Tired of being ostracized for being gay, John Ginoli and Chris Freeman created a gay-friendly punk band with unabashed lyrics and a good sense of humor.
Sanctus Real- A Christian rock band willing to break its contract with major labels in order to play songs they love.
Augustana- Young band rising on the charts and it's no wonder. As they describe their own album, "its a young and scared record...and it's real and from our hearts... "

7 Comments:

At May 15, 2007 7:54 AM, Blogger Amy J. Kearns, MLIS said...

I knew that post was you, Ty, even before I got to the end! :-)

 
At May 15, 2007 8:58 AM, Blogger Janie L. Hermann said...

I am a Pandora addict and have been for over a year. In fact, search our blog archives and you will find my thoughts on Pandora from last April. I still listen to Pandora almost daily.
This illustrates why Ty was a perfect match to join our blog team...

 
At May 15, 2007 9:27 AM, Blogger Amy J. Kearns, MLIS said...

Can one not edit their own comments? I have to make a whole second post just to add that . . .

Have you checked out lastfm.com?

 
At May 16, 2007 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just started trying to figure out last.fm, but I've heard that Pandora is better - any comparison?

 
At May 16, 2007 10:49 PM, Blogger Amy J. Kearns, MLIS said...

I haven't used Pandora so I can't help you there! Anyone else?

I think there is also slacker.com.

 
At May 17, 2007 8:25 AM, Blogger Peter Bromberg said...

I use Pandora and love it. Have peeked at lastfm and couldn't figure it out in 3 seconds so I left (this is quickly becoming my filter for adoption of services.)

-pete

 
At May 17, 2007 11:30 AM, Blogger Amy J. Kearns, MLIS said...

Ooh yeah that's a great point - I think it is like the suggestion for deciding whether or not to continue investing your time in a book or not! The "three second rule," this is I think! ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home