Friday, June 29, 2007

DIY Book Scanner

A colleague sent me a link today that is too good not to share -- instructions on how to build your own book scanner using Lego and a variety of other items that most geeks will have on hand or be able to get easily.

Dick Eastman found the same instructions after his return from the ALA conference earlier this week where he had watched the Kirtas APT BookScan 2400 in action, but suffered sticker shock from the $120,000 price tag.

If anyone else in libraryland gets inspired and builds their own scanner from Lego and kite string, be sure to let me know and post the pictures on flickr!

3 Comments:

At July 06, 2007 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that is really innovative. Deserving of an award, really. I'm impressed!

 
At October 31, 2007 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Add that with, SNapter. Or just use snapter. It would faster and cheaper. Much faster.

http://www.snapter.atiz.com/

 
At January 27, 2009 8:15 PM, Blogger Sephamorr said...

my requirements were different as I didn't mind destroying the book in the process. I removed the spine then stuck the pages in an inkjet printer's tray. I then removed the exit tray for the printer and positioned it so the pages would fall onto a flatbed printer. I programmed the computer to print a blank page, moving the sheet onto the scanner, then scan the page, and finally my LEGO nxt robot used a wheel to discard the pages into the exit bay. THen the process would repeat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home