Monday, June 18, 2007

You Don't Need Physical Proximity to Feel Close

I am sitting here at work in tears.

I have just seen and read about Michael's dear dog, Jake. I had been watching his decline through Michael's posts on flickr and knowing that eventually this post would come. Then I read Karen Schneider's perfect post about pets, and unconditional love and social networks, and I just have to share.

We really can be one large community.
I have only met Michael once in person, but I feel that I "know" him somewhat through the Internet - his posts on flickr and his blog, his generousness, intellect and humor that truly come across no matter what medium he uses to communicate. And, especially as a dog lover/owner I certainly could "know" his relationship with his dog, Jake, and feel such pain for him at this time. I wish there was something I could DO. But I am hoping that Michael and his family and his other dog, Charlie, can feel us all around him, even though we are not physically present with them, sharing their sadness and caring so much for them in these ways that we can - posts, emails, instant messages, etc..

The Internet can be an amazing thing. I wish I could tie this all together better somehow, and make some more profound point that I feel is here but just out of reach, but I feel too sad to do it right now. Anyway, Karen really said it best and said it all.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home