Saturday, September 08, 2007

2007 Summer Reading Program... in Review

This time of year is always a happy and sad time for me. I'm sad because the summer is so close to ending, and I have an annual tradition of regretting not doing more outside. But then again, I am happy because the frantic pace of our Summer Reading Program is over... and that means I can actually take a moment to relax a little, perhaps breathe a bit as well.

All in all, it was a great summer for me. This was the first time that I had full reign of our teens' Summer Reading Program. I packed it with programs, volunteers, last-second planning, fix-ups, movies and an occasional-running-with-scissors moment... if you know what I mean.

But how did it all go? What worked and what didn't? Let's review it in a hot/not fashion.

Hot- The average number of books read by teens who signed up for the Summer Reading Program was 18!

Not- Actual number of participants in the Reading Program was down.

Hot- The "You Never Know What You Can Do With Duct Tape" program. We made wallets, cell phone holders, a couple flowers and even attempted sandals. It was probably my most attended program on a week to week basis. By the way, if you try the sandals, make sure you don't accidentally expose the duct tape adhesive to the hair on your toes... Yowwww!

Not- The whole "YNK" theme. Maybe it's just me, but it seemed silly. People may have used the theme but few actually used it as "YNK" (and not without having to clarify what YNK stood for).

Hot- The End of Summer lock-in. It was the first after hours party we had at our library. The teens ate about 8-feet worth of subs, partied heartily and every single one of them was actually picked up on time!

Not- The one single teen at the party who decided to push the boundaries and threw her piece of cake into the face of another person.

Hot- The Shoprite Deli. Originally, the store lost our sub order for the party. So, Dan, the Deli-guy, made good by not just making 10 subs but only charged us half-price because of the mix up.

Not- Shoprite in general. I'm sorry, it's a Marrazzo's thing.

Hot- My teen-volunteer coordinator's ability to have all but 5 of our teens complete the required number of hours and set a record for most volunteers sign-up and completed.

Not- The teen volunteers constantly referring to me as "Hey Mister!"

Hot- The song "Hey Delilah" by the Plain White Ts being constantly played.

Not- Fergie's "Big Girls Don't Cry" being constantly overplayed.

And finally....

Hot- Our brand new Teen furniture finally came in!

Not- Gaylord messed up the color of the furniture and has yet to fix it. But they did offer to let us keep the furniture they sent us in lieu of having to send the right ones.

So, how do I rank the summer on a whole? I'll go with an 8/10. Better than average but let's leave some room for improvement.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At September 17, 2007 7:02 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

You work at the Lakewood branch of the OC library? You actually got teenagers to read books there this summer? That's amazing! I live in Lakewood and just started my MLIS degree. I was sharing with my professor how the Lakewood library has changed (not for the better, in my opinion) in the past few years. But your post gives me hope that things may be turning around. Perhaps I'll have to come in and check it out...

 
At July 04, 2008 6:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home