Friday, October 03, 2008

Embedding Facebook Video with Greasemonkey - Revised

QandANJ.org recently launched its second commercial which premiered during the MTV Video Music Awards (and is now showing during Project Runway).

In an effort to extend the reach of the commercial, we've posted it to YouTube and to our MySpace and Facebook pages, and we've encouraged anyone and everyone to embed the YouTube version on their website. All well and good except the embedded YouTube version is pretty low resolution. I really wanted to offer a higher resolution version for embedding.

I noticed that the video that I had uploaded to Facebook was of pretty good quality, but Facebook doesn't offer an embed code. My usual thought process in cases like this goes something like this:
  1. I want to do it.
  2. Others must want to do it.
  3. Others must have figured out a way TO do it.
  4. I gotta find that way...
And indeed, a little googling turns up this great Greasemonkey script* (direct link to script page) which lets you generate an embed code. The script also creates links to download and/or convert the video to another format (through zamzar.)

This is going to be my new go-to method of embedding high quality video. Any other tips or tricks for embedding high quality video? I'd love to know how others do it. (Note: bliptv didn't do so hot. Not sure why...)

Added 10/3/08 And here's the result...




*Greasemonkey: A sweet little Firefox add-on that lets you to customize the way a webpage displays using small bits of JavaScript. It's like a little miracle, and another not-so-small reason to use Firefox!!

Tags: , , , , (tags created using this greasemonkey script...)

1 Comments:

At October 07, 2008 11:44 AM, Blogger Amy J. Kearns, MLIS said...

Wow, it's interesting that you posted this. I was trying to post video to our blog myself recently!

(In fact, if you can see I have a post sitting in the dashboard that I couldn't finish b/c the video part wouldn't work!)

I tried BLIP.TV too and that totally didn't work!

I am really excited to try this facebook greasemonkey script you have shared!!

Yay! Thanks Pete!

Amy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home